taco pizza with homemade salsa fresca and lime cream

***in which i learn that store-bought naan bread makes awesome pizza crust and that everything tastes better topped with cheese and sour cream. although i already knew that!***


Wednesday night is Bowling Night for Scott and I, and we usually try to scarf up something quick for dinner. It's usually a Red Baron thin-crust pizza with a side salad, but I had a package of ground turkey hanging out in the freezer that I wanted to use for something. Try coming up with a summery ground turkey dish! I challenge you. I guess I could have made turkey burgers, but my inherent burgerolosiphy is that burgers should be made with beef. All the time. This is related to my butterolosiphy in which I will only eat real butter on my bread, because what's the fun otherwise? Margarine tastes like ass.

Anyway, our Wegmans has recently started stocking these awesome tandoori naan breads in the deli section - I don't know if you're as intimately familiar with naan as I am, but it's freaking amazing.When I go out for Indian food, I can literally consume about a rickshaw full of hot, doughy naan and still not be sick of it. And the packaged stuff is pretty great as well, and (bonus!) comes in a rough oval shape which is perfect for a thick and soft pizza dough.

Taco Pizza

1 piece naan bread (or regular pizza crust or you can make your own dough, if you happen to have scads of time on your hands)
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar, colby-jack or Mexican blend cheese
Approx. 1 cup taco sauce or salsa

1. Preheat oven to 375. If using naan, sprinkle both sides lightly with water.

2. In a large non-stick skillet, brown turkey meat. When almost completely brown, add chopped onion.

3. Drain meat and onion mixture, and add about 1/2 cup of the taco sauce or salsa. Use the other 1/2 cup to create a layer of "sauce" on the naan bread.


4. Place a thick layer of the meat mixture on top of the sauce (I had about 2 cups of meat mixture left over), and top with the shredded cheese. I also added a little chopped cilantro for flavor.

5. Bake for about 10-15 minutes of until cheese is melted, right on the oven rack. I usually place a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch any dripping sauce or cheese.

Cut the "pizza" into four segments and serve. This serves two people - for more people, use another naan bread or two.


I also whipped up a simple salsa fresca to top the pizza, and this is a salsa you can use to top anything from tacos, to fish, to grilled skirt steak. Also fantastic with some tortilla chips and about 17 Modelo Especiales. Great summer flavors! (Also, for some reason my organic limes look like lemons in the picture below - and in real life, to be quite honest - but they most certainly are limes!)


2 tomatoes, diced small (I usually use red tomatoes on the vine, but you could use roma or beefsteak or whatever you have on hand!)
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
Juice of half a lime
1 tsp olive oil
Coarse sea salt to taste

Simply mix all the ingredients together and let sit in the fridge for an hour or so to let the favors blend.


Note: I often add about half a chopped jalapeno pepper or a little habanero to this, if it's just me eating. My hus-bland prefers it without! :)

I also squeezed a little bit of lime into some sour cream to create a tangy topping for the pizza. We had a couple of beers (Modelo's, claro que si, delicioso!), and then went off to bowl. It must have been good sustenance because my first game I bowled a 188!! Kingpin, right here!

No comments: