seared flank steak, grilled summer vegetables, whole-wheat couscous, honey-drizzled pineapple

***in which i learn that i love my new grill! and also that one should not play tennis until 7:45 p.m. without having started dinner unless one plans to grill in the dark. and that, despite yet another attempt, i still don't love couscous like i feel i should. also, don't put your digital meat thermometer too close to a 500 degree grill, unless you would like a Dali-esque meat thermometer***


Warning: grandiose Biblical metaphor ahead.

So in the Bible, the first book, the beginning of it all, is Genesis. Everything else, all of civilization really, follows from that point. So is it any coincidence that my beloved new grill is named "Genesis"? Because although my metaphor may be trite, I feel like grilling on this amazing piece of equipment marks a whole new beginning in cooking and experimenting in my life.

I mean, seriously, the thing kicks ass. It has a temperature gauge, for Pete's sake! How have I survived so long without one? And this thing sears like nobody's business. Holy crap, does it sear!

Just look at the grill marks on that flank steak! Bobby Flay would be proud.


I did have seriously grand notions of grilling an amazing dinner, complete with grilled stone fruits for dessert. However, by the time we played some serious tennis, went to Wegmans to purchase corn and veggies, and got in the car to drive home, we were in a serious race against the clock. Scott, of course, spent about 7 hours READING THE MANUAL, which I really think is superfluous when there's a beautiful steak just waiting to be put on the grill, and by the time the steak actually GOT to the grill, it was 9:30. So we ended up with a Euro-style dinner last night - fine by me, except for the fact that my husband was falling asleep into his grilled vegetable couscous.



So, dinner. As some of you may know, I went back to Weight Watchers meetings yesterday, so I'm trying to eat healthy. I have 13 pounds until I reach my goal weight, and I'll be damned if I blow it again! But as you'll see, that doesn't preclude eating amazing food!


Grilled Flank Steak and Summer Vegetables


1 flank steak (about 1 lb. or whatever size you'd like), marinated in Go-To Asian-Style Marinade (recipe below)

Red, yellow and orange peppers, cut into random strips
Half of a large red onion
Half of a large zucchini
3 ears of corn (or however many you can eat)
Low-Sodium soy sauce
Fat-free Italian dressing

1. Heat grill to high (about 500-600 degrees).

2. For the corn, pull back the husks to remove the silks, and then pull the husks back over the corn ears. Soak in warm water about 15-20 minutes. This allows the husks to soften, so they don't burn as easily on the grill.


3. Meanwhile, cut the vegetables up into large chunks (I like to do about a 1-inch ring for the onion). In a medium bowl, toss the veggies with a little soy sauce and fat-free Italian dressing, and a dash of hot sauce, if you like.

4. Turn grill burners down to about medium, and place everything on the grill, keeping the corn in the husk. Allow to grill about 6-8 minutes, then lift lid and flip everything over. Continue grilling for another 6-8 minutes, or until steak is done to your liking and the veggies are softened.

5. Remove from heat and allow meat to rest for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place all the grilled veggies on a cutting board and coarsely chop them into manageable chunks. Remove the husks from the grilled corn (careful, this'll burn your fingers!).

6. Slice steak very thinly on the diagonal. Toss veggies back in the reserved cooking juices, and serve over couscous or rice pilaf.


Go-To Asian-Style Marinade (I actually marinated the flank steak last Saturday, making enough marinade for two steaks, and froze this one!)

1/2 cup Kikkoman Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
1/4 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
3 garlic cloves, finely minced (or two spoonfuls of minced garlic in olive oil)
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp brown sugar
3 drops sesame oil
1/4 cup mirin (sweet sake)
Dash sriracha (or other hot sauce, if desired)

I've also added a squeeze of lime juice, some chili-garlic sauce and a tablespoon of chopped cilantro to this in the past. (which I did)

--------------------------------------------------------------

At lunch one day at our fabulous hotel in Costa Rica, for dessert we were served a simple dish of fresh, skewered pineapple chunks with a perfectly-sized scoop of vanilla ice cream. The whole thing was drizzled with sweet, fragrant honey. That dish has been in my head for weeks, and it's so easy to make!

I wanted to grill the pineapple, but I totally forgot and turned the grill off, and it was already after 10 o'clock so we kept it easy.

Honey-Drizzled Pineapple with Vanilla Ice Cream


Fresh pineapple rings or chunks
Vanilla ice cream (I like Edy's Slow Churned)
Honey

1. Cut the pineapple into chunks. You can thread them on a skewer (especially if you plan to grill them), or just arrange them on the plate like I did.

2. On the side, place 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream.

3. Drizzle with honey.

Simple as that. But SO good. And don't skip the honey - it really adds a little something to the dish and brings all the flavors together beautifully.

---------------------------------------------------------

The best part, for anyone like me who is terrified of putting on a bathing suit this summer? The whole meal, dessert included, will run you 11 Weight Watchers points, or roughly 550-650 calories. Can't beat that!


By the way, Happy Birthday to my little brother John, who turns (gasp) 18 today! I really am in shock about that. Have a great day, Bird!

No comments: