grilled marinated chicken, egg-white omelette, grilled naan pizza, a tired dog

***in which i learn that you can grill just about anything. and that i really forget most of the details of the weekend***


No, we didn't eat the tired dog. What is this, Beijing? I did read some article saying that a lot of the restaurants in Beijing have been asked to remove the dog dishes from the menus with all the foreigners coming in for the Olympics. The whole idea is just awful, at least for someone who loves their dog like an actual child. My dog sleeps with it's head on a pillow. Just sayin'.

So anyway, I've been grilling every single night since we got the new grill. I'm totally stoked about it, and the way it gets so hot it could singe your eyebrows off if you happen to get too close. It's now Thursday, so here's an abbreviated breakdown of the weekend.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday.


After the pancakes, I felt like crap. That was a lot of dough and maple syrup to stick in a stomach that early in the morning. So the rest of the day we ate light, and because I didn't want to think too much, dinner was simple.

I threw some marinated chicken breasts on the grill (marinated in Ken's Light Caesar dressing), and also cut up a large red onion and tossed that on the grill. Side dish (what a cheater I am) was a bag of BirdsEye SteamFresh Rice and Veggies, which is actually pretty decent for something from the frozen section, I must admit.

And I did a quick saute of broccoli, grilled onion, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce. A simple summery meal.

-----------------------------------------------

Sunday.


Ah, the delights of egg whites when one is confined to counting points all day long. Egg whites are so much healthier and lower in calories and cholesterol than whole eggs, and if you stuff 'em with enough deliciousness, you won't even notice the difference. At least, I don't.

I've been buying these little cups of egg whites that I believe have the equivalent of three whites in them. I hate wasting the yolks and since I don't make many custards, it's easier to just toss 'em than to try and save them in ridiculous manners like freezing them into ice cube trays and then throwing them out during my next freezer clean-out.


Tex-Mex Egg-White and Veggie Omelette (3 points)


1/8 cup chopped red onion
1/8 cup diced mushrooms
1/8 cup diced red bell pepper
1/8 cup sliced scallions
2 Tbsp sliced jalapenos
Hot sauce or chili-garlic sauce
3 egg whites
Nonstick cooking spray
Shredded cheddar cheese (1-2 Tbsp)

1. Heat broiler to high. In small saute pan, saute veggies, peppers and hot sauce with non-stick cooking spray, reserving some of the scallions for serving.
2. When veggies are softened, add egg whites. Use a rubber spatula to push the omelette gently to the center, allowing the uncooked portion to fill in the sides.
3. Place under the broiler in pan until firm on top. I like to finish in the broiler so I don't make a mess when I try to flip the thing.
4. Remove from broiler (careful, that handle's hot!), and top half the omelette with shredded cheese, then fold the other half over the cheese.
5. Serve garnished with sliced scallions.

Points: 3.


I must, yet again, extol the virtues of store-bought naan bread as a pizza crust. I used this in my Taco Pizza a few weeks back, and on Sunday night I also decided to toss a pizza on the grill. I can't recommend the grill enough for cooking pizza - that charred flavor makes it taste like it's from your favorite neighborhood pizza place.

Grilled Naan Pizza (8 Points)


1 round Tandoori Naan bread
1 recipe Homemade* tomato sauce (below)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or 3 bocconcini of fresh mozzarella (preferred)
3 leaves basil, torn
Your favorite toppings - I used sliced red onion and mushroom.

1. Preheat grill to high and turn one burner off, so pizza will cook without burning on the bottom. Sprinkle naan lightly with water, and grill about 2 minutes on one side.
2. Flip naan over, and top with sauce, cheese and toppings.
3. Close grill and let bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is, or until cheese is melted and crust is browned.
4. Eat.


Homemade* Tomato Sauce

1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

1. In a small saucepan, saute the garlic in olive oil until fragrant but not browned.
2. Add the basil and quickly saute in the oil so it's infused with garlic and basil.
3. Add the tomatoes and stir in the balsamic vinegar. Cover, and let simmer on low.
4. I like to use a potato masher to reduce the chunks and smooth the sauce when it's finished simmering, so it makes a more pizza-like sauce.


We served the pizza with a simple tossed salad - spring greens with garlic vinaigrette and some sliced 'shrooms:

No comments: