um... leftover tacos. plus chocolate-chip cookies and a killer breakfast!

***in which i learn that "commercial shoots" are nowhere near as glamorous as they sound***

Yesterday I had to go out on the town with a production crew and shoot a commercial for a local cable provider. After trudging around town in heels for 2 and half hours in intermittent drizzle, wearing a Penn State jersey and a scowl, I was way too tired to devise a menu last night. And I knew I had to save my cooking energy for the fourth day of July, although it's currently 10:23 a.m. on said day, and I still have no clue about what I'm cooking tonight.

I know what you're thinking.

Who wears heels with a football jersey?!

I had a bunch of leftover taco meat from Wednesday night, so I just warmed up some tortillas, pulled out the leftover salsa fresca, and steamed some baby corn and voila! We have zee dinner. And there's a lesson to be learned in this - make extra, as you'll never know when you may be required to shoot a commercial at the last minute.


I did get to cook a little last night, after the husband (who takes offense to the moniker "hus-bland" as he considers his culinary taste to fall in the gray area between bland and highly spiced. Whatevs!) bemoaned the lack of fattening dessert items in our home. Edy's Fruit Bars weren't doing the trick for him, so I made some homestyle chocolate chip cookies which came out delightfully thick and gooey. And I ended up eating half the batter before the cookies even went into the oven. Blargh.


Today's breakfast, though, was phenomenal. I like nothing more than a thick piece of sourdough toast with *real* butter, and paired with a freshly roasted Kona espresso and some plump blueberries, it was a meal fit for the country's birthday.


Here's the recipe for the chocolate-chip cookies, direct from the back of the chocolate chip bag. My only substitution was that I used Madagascar Vanilla-Bean Paste instead of vanilla extract.

Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments: